Messages

Chancellor Guskiewicz’ message to 2020 Graduates

Graduation tassel.
Detail image of graduation tassels at UNC Student Stores on December 5, 2019, on the campus of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. (Johnny Andrews/UNC-Chapel Hill)

Dear 2020 Graduates:

I hope you are enjoying the summer and staying safe and well. I wanted to drop you a quick note to say that we have not forgotten about rescheduling your well-earned spring commencement ceremony.

The situation with COVID-19 remains concerning and difficult to predict in North Carolina. While I wish things were different, we are still practicing physical distancing, wearing masks and limiting the amount of people in social gatherings.

At this point, we do not have enough certainty to know when these restrictions will lift and we can safely plan to hold a large gathering like commencement. While we will never be able to predict the future, we want to do all we can to avoid announcing a date only to have to cancel it again.

I know this news is frustrating, and I appreciate your patience as we navigate these uncertain times. I look forward to celebrating with you as soon as safely possible.

Sincerely,

Kevin M. Guskiewicz
Chancellor